Minute Taking Courses Programme
The programme below is for our open courses in minute taking.
This programme would be tailored for your exact requirements when delivered on an in-company basis.
All of our minute taking courses are one-day in duration. Courses are run regularly in London (see current dates above) or we can deliver a tailored training programme just for you at a venue of your choice and on a date of your choice. The full course programme is shown below.
The minute taker must record the meeting accurately and then produce clear and concise minutes that capture both the content and structure of the meeting. This course covers all the skills needed to take the minutes with speed, complete accuracy and total confidence every time.
Upon completion of this course delegates will be able to:
- Prepare correctly for any type of meeting
- Work with the meeting chairperson
- Listen attentively
- Recognise what is important and must be captured
- Use a variety of techniques to take notes
- Draft the minutes quickly, accurately and concisely
1. Preparing for Meetings
- What needs to be done and by when?
- Working in co-operation with the meeting chair
2. Responsibilities of the Minute Taker
- Understanding your role and what is expected of you
- Being aware of the roles of other participants
- The essential link between the meeting agenda and production of the minutes
3. Uses of Meeting Minutes
- What are minutes used for?
- Who needs to see the minutes, in what form and by when?
- Preparing a distribution list
- Important factors in writing the minutes
4. The art of concentration
- The difference between hearing and listening
- Overcoming barriers to effective listening
- Active Listening and its importance for minute takers
- Paying attention and maintaining high levels of concentration
- Interrupting – when is it appropriate and how do you do it?
- The different formats available and picking the right one
- Selecting the most suitable option for note taking
- How to ensure accuracy every time
- The recording of dissent
- Converting to first draft
6. Writing up the Minutes
- Spelling and punctuation checks
- Grammar essentials
- Reported speech
- Different voices – active and passive
- Techniques for accurately summarising
- The appropriate use of bullet points
- Using positive language
7. Practicing Minute Taking
- A series of exercises to take the minutes for typical meetings
8. Personal Action Plan
- Review of the day
- Producing a personal action plan
If you would like to discuss your minute taking training needs please call us at any time on 0845 130 5714 to speak with one of our consultants.
Alternatively if you would prefer you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our simple contact form below and we will get straight back to you.